Sunday, October 9, 2016

Diiiiiiiid I Tell You About My Awesome New Gynecologist???

Previously on Self-made Motherhood Blog:  Surprise! (or not) I'm not pregnant.  Anyway, remember when my greedy RE wouldn't give me the Rx for progesterone suppositories and told me to get it from my regular gynecologist (which she knew I didn't even have because I'd just moved to Jersey and gone directly to her)?  Right, well she recommended someone, but this doctor had a two-month wait for an appointment.  So I soldiered on and get trying on my own.  Before the last ttc cycle, I did actually call to make an appointment though.  It was still more than a month to wait, but I figured either I'd be pregnant and need a blood test, or I wouldn't be and could talk to her about ttc stuff.  The latter prevailed (obviously), and I went in to see her at the end of September. First off, she's Black.  This is awesome because, often times, PoC receive biased care from medical professionals, and though it's not impossible to get the same results with a Black or PoC caregiver, it certainly makes for better odds (read this article if you want more info on that).  She was immediately very congenial and very open & responsive to my questions.  We talked and she decided that I may have some sort of androgen imbalance and/or insulin sensitivity or resistance issue (since all my bloodwork from the RE came back normal), something that may not show up in hormone levels, but could be throwing things off (possibly borderline diabetes or other sensitivity/resistance disorder).  She prescribed Metformin for me to start immediately (I was a few days from ovulation in a non-ttc cycle) and Clomid for me to use CD 6-10 of my next ttc cycle.  The Metformin is often used for PCOS patients to help regulate the hormones and also (I've since learned) in some women through the first trimester as a way to stave off gestational diabetes in women who are borderline).  The Clomid is to help my follicles ripen more fully and give me a chance at bigger, better eggs when I do ovulate.  Her plan was "The Fives".  Five days on your cycle. Then five days on Clomid. Then five days after finishing the Clomid, do the insem. Then insem again two days later.  And again two days after that.  Three vials are too expensive for me in a single cycle.  I told her this and she said to insem on CD15 and again two days later.  I started talking about the cycle after and when I might be able to afford to ttc again after using two vials and she stopped me.  "Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  One thing at a time.  Finish the cycle you're on.  Start the Metformin today. Keep taking your vitamins and supplements. Do the Clomid protocol.  Do your inseminations at home.  And we'll see what happens.  This might be the one that works.  We may not need to even think about the next cycle and so on.  One thing at a time."  After the gloom and doom proclamations of the RE, it's really refreshing to meet an optimistic medical professional.  She so the complete opposite of the RE, I'm a bit surprised that the RE recommended her.

So, that was a few weeks ago.  Now I'm on CD4, and on the verge of starting the Clomid protocol and getting this whole show on the road.  I'm nervous, but hopeful.  Guess we'll see what happens...

Stay tuned...

No comments: