Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reverb December 14th - Jnana (Self-Knowledge)

It's Christmas Day and yet somehow I still come to you from December 14th. Clever, no?

My retroactive, reflective post of the day is on the theme of Jnana, or Self-Knowledge.

Today's question: Name something you did that was completely out of character. How did it feel?

I don't know how to answer this one. I mean, in my personal person, in my character, in my core...I don't waver very much. Once my mind is made up, it stays made up until there is a reason to reconsider. And reconsideration, reevaluation...it's natural and normal. It doesn't feel out of character for me to change my mind, or my clothes, or my life. Even when the change seems drastic or sudden to someone on the outside looking in at me. Adapt or die, right?

So I can't think of anything I've done in the last year (or beyond that, even) that was "out of character". Every day of my life as far back as I can remember, I do what I have to do to survive, and once that's covered, I do what I have to do to be happy. I haven't always succeeded in the "happy". But as time went on, I realized that being "happy" was necessary in order to guarantee survival. Is it out of character for anyone to want to live in the world and find joy in it? I don't know how to answer this question...

No comments: