Thursday, December 15, 2011

Reverb December 15th - Acharya (Scholar)

Retroactive post day 15.
Topic: Acharya - Scholar
Question: What did you study this year? What did you learn? What did you teach?

I'm always studying something or other. Languages. Sciences. People. Myself. It's a big world, you know? There's always something new to learn. Actually, as far as languages, I've been completely uninterested this year. Which is not only atypical, but also counterintuitive since I've relocated to a new country. That being said, its so easy to get by in English in Hong Kong that I really haven't made the time to study Cantonese or Mandarin. I'm sure I'll get around to it sooner or later. Or make a plan to travel somewhere else, and learn a bit of that language instead. That actually seems more likely...*sigh*

In the course of my baby-making journey, I've studied my self. My body. It's intricacies and subtle signs and shifts. Seriously, I never knew so much about my own physical inner workings until I started trying to get a baby all up in this piece. I've also come into contact with others on the same journey. And learned so much about their inner workings, too. I've studied my cycle just shy of obsessively. The thing that keeps it from being an obsession is that my cycles are unbelievably regular and don't require much attention to keep track of. If my cycle was more in flux, I'm sure it's the only thing I would have anything at all to think about at any given time. I've not so much learned as been reminded that other people have boundaries. At a recent acupuncture appointment, I mentioned something about my cycle, my moods and habits, in detail, but in a very off-handed way. Then when I saw her reaction (maybe her other clients are less forthcoming? I don't know), I said, "Sorry, was that overshare? I sometimes forget that other people have boundaries." She assured me that it was fine. Good, even. It's best for her to know as much as possible to know how to proceed.

I've also learned that I'm good at eroding other people's boundaries. But I think I may have known that all along.

Maybe what I've learned most in the past year is that boundaries are arbitrary and the lines are often blurred.

What have I taught? As far as baby making goes, I hope I've taught some people that there's more than one way to make a family. That there's nothing wrong with being a woman who wants a baby, but not necessarily a husband. Or that there's nothing wrong with not wanting either one if that's how you're put together. I hope, and think i have inspired some other women in my same position to see their baby-making ability as not intrinsically linked to marriage or a romantic relationship. to trust in the universe that if you really want your baby now, then when the right person for you comes along, you'll know it for sure because that person will love you and your child(ren).

On a more every day level, I hope I'm teaching the children in my care to be curious, thoughtful, kind human beings who can be adventurous without being reckless. Giving without being gullible. Proud of themselves without being down on others.

No comments: